Monday, March 17, 2008

Sore back

I've got an allotment back. Some lower back pain since last Thursday when I last did some digging - was in a bit of a hurry, which was stupid. It's not too bad, but niggles me early in the morning...and is aching now since I did some hoeing this afternoon, while it was dry.

The Cosmos have germinated, and have got very tall, very quickly. I am hoping they are meant to be like that, and it's not because they are too hot/not enough light etc. But they are making rapid progress - only a week since they were sown. So hope to pot them on later this week, and then try and control them a bit better. I hate waiting for slow germinators. The didiscus may take another two weeks to show themselves....snore...I can't wait that long. I want seedlings NOW!

It's meant to be cold tonight, so all the plants that were out on the balcony are now in, except the sweet peas and broad beans, which should cope with the colder weather. I am not convinced our balcony gets that cold anyway - its fairly sheltered, and we have a thermometer that always shows it is much warmer than the forecast. London seems to have these pockets of warmth, especially in the more built up areas.

The allotment keeps me awake at night. It should really be my PhD thesis keeping me awake, and it probably is subconsciously. But when I can't sleep I think of the warmer days, and all the fantastic vegetables and flowers we should have this year. Programmes like Monty Don's Around the World in 80 Gardens, don't help, as it just makes me want to grow more things, and go and see some of those fantastic Gardens. Then I spoke to my old school friend this afternoon. After over 20 years we have caught up with each other again to find we are both allotment gardeners - which was not a shared interest when we were 18. She was telling me how excited she is about her peas! I completely understand. Gordon says I talk more to my seedlings than I do to him - he is probably right!

We should have some rhubarb soon, which will please Gordon as he is a Rhubarb Person... I'm not so sure - it's OK if mixed up with other stuff I guess. I have bad memories of school rhubarb and custard, which always looked awful. I like the look of the plants though. It was transplanted and split up last year when we moved plots, and with a good feed of horse manure in the autumn is looking very very happy in its new home.

1 comment:

LoopZilla said...

Prince Charles also talks to the plants...