Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Leeks and broccoli

This afternoon I sowed two varieties of leeks - Colossal, from the heritage seed library, and Hannibal from the organic garden catalogue. The colossal seeds were definitely larger than the Hannibal, so it will be interesting to see what happens. We have just finished eating the leeks sown in April 2007 - our last supper with them was a leek and cheese pie (served cold - with no pastry) from my favourite Greek cookery book.

The broccoli are Romanesco variety, given to us by our friend Bruce, who has helped out on the plot a few times.

I just had to transplant the Cosmos today - although they don't have any true leaves, because they were sown on the top of the compost, with a little vermiculite and had grown so tall, they were looking very fragile, and waving around. I decided they had a better chance if they were transplanted and set more soundly in some compost. Their roots were pretty sturdy - and after seeing a picture of Cosmos in the paper today, we are a bit concerned they are going to be pretty tall! That's OK though, just need to be prepared for it - these are definitely for the back row of the flower border. I sowed some more today as well - in case I kill off the first lot.

2 comments:

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Hi Marj,

Yes, my wife loves the no pastry style of Prasopita (Leek pie), we have it regularly. I whipped one up the other day and will be adding it to my blog soon. In the meantime, you may be interested in some of my other Greek food recipes, see: Greek Food

Be Well,

Sam Sotiropoulos

Marj Joly said...

Thanks Sam, I'll look out for your recipe. The one I use is from a book by Rena Salaman, called The Greek Cook. I don't use as much feta when I make it as the book suggests, as I just think it is too much (the book suggests 300g, I use about 100g). I bought this book a few years ago, and even though I don't eat meat, it has loads of fish and vegetarian recipes.