Tuesday, March 11, 2008

More seed sowing and stuff

I've sown some more seed this afternoon. I think I've sown parsley, but the seed packets fell out in my bag, as I have been carrying them to and fro from the allotment a lotm - they got mixed up with the dill so not entirely sure which is which. If its not parsley, then it is dill! Also sown coriander, basil, cosmos and didiscus.

The didiscus have to be kept without light until they germinate, whereas the cosmos need light. I don't really understand why this is the case, but expect it can be found somewhere or other on the web. The didiscus have nice little cardboard cut outs over them.

The last couple of days all the plants that were on the balcony have been brought indoors to protect them from the wind, which has been quite gusty here. I look up at the planes coming into city airport, and am glad I am on terra firma. So the flat is getting more and more like a greenhouse, and we are running out of windowsills. Hopefully soon I can get more things hardening off outdoors, to free up some space.

The problem with gardening is that it ruins your hands. My hands are very sore this week again. Some muscular aches, but also just rough skin and abrasions, making it difficult to do fine tasks.

The acrolinium almost have their true leaves, so hopefully can soon transplant them. The trouble is there are about 50 seedlings, so may have to be selective what I pot on. I hate discarding seedlings, I feel they all deserve a chance.

The asters are having a hard time, they will be very glad when I transplant them. They are so fragile and I nearly killed them off the other day with my watering from the top. They all sagged...and have stayed sort of lying down in the pots. But I stopped watering in time, so still have some upright seedlings left.

Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, aubergines and Hungarian wax hot peppers all alive and kicking.

No comments: